Today is not any special day between between Glenn and I but today is/was/has been hard. It was my last day to end another school. Emotions ran deep as I started the day and dealing with you not being here.
You aren’t here to tell me…
- How proud you are I made it through again.
- To celebrate that I walked away from the school year not exploding on a student.
- We aren’t “just sitting” on the patio enjoy the quiet.
- I don’t get to ride along with you and be your “call girl” as you visited all your customers. There’s no meeting up at “get off time” – whenever you decided that would be for the day
- No working on summer bids
- No watching the water sprinkler on the freshly mowed lawn while sitting in the swing
- No sneaking off to The Spot for you to let me just watch the water and you get to have your favorite burger
There’s such a void today. Going into this summer seems so different than last summer. I could blame it on many different things but the truth is you are not here. Saying I miss you is the understatement of the century. I know how lucky I was to have you in my life for the rest of yours but that doesn’t help today.
I miss that look and knowing, once again, I won’t have that special summer time with you. Today stinks. But…..after sitting in my cleaned, packed away classroom and shedding a few tears, I decided the grandkids will spend the summer celebrating and experiencing all the things we did – as much as possible anyways.
In your honor we will:
- Remember and talk about proud you always were that I made it through again.
- I will remind each of them how much you loved them (even before they were born)
- Celebrate that I “walked away” from the school year not exploding on a student.
- We will “just sit” on the patio to enjoy the quiet outdoors
- We will visit a few your favorite old customers and your boss just to say hello
- Make plans to meet up with friends at “Glenn get off time” to teach them to take time for yourself and friends
- There will be watching of the water sprinkler on the freshly mowed lawn while sitting in the swing
- Introduce them to sneaking off to The Spot in Galveston to watch the water and begin a new tradition of enjoying your favorite burger together.
When today began I was sure it would be another one of those long sad days. To be able to turn myself around as I have is proof you are here with me when I need you. So, this evening I raise my glass, say your name outload and cheers to a great summer break. All along knowing you will be smiling down on Peanut, Mowgli, and little man (aka Mowgli 2.o!) as we build new memories in your honor.